Friday, December 8, 2017

Deck the halls with boughs of holly....


Well, we're hitting the silly season and I'm determined to try and make this a goodie. I'm lucky that, despite being divorced, my ex and I get on really well (most of the time. Let's not go overboard). We'll be spending Christmas Eve together; the traditional Christmas Dinner here en France. That will probably end in the early hours of Christmas morning. I'll head home, crash and then get up and head around to Madame's for the presents, followed by Christmas dinner...again. Bring on the seafood, foie gras et 'je ne sais pas pour le viande'.


After lunch it's home James for me and Christmas evening spent by myself. I picked up a New Zealand leg of lamb and am going to dine out on that. Not really Christmas fare but a touch of Aotearoa to help buoy the spirits. I'm going to have a movie marathon so if anybody can suggest some good films on Netflix (no dosh to buy DVDs), it would be much appreciated.

Christmas is a tough time of year without our big boy. We're here for his little Bro though and make the whole experience as positive and happy as possible. He deserves nothing less.

I have a nice anecdote about N on one of his last Christmas mornings. He rushed downstairs early in the morning, as kids do, and went to see the presents under the Christmas tree (and Santas footprints in 'snow' leading from the chimney to the tree). He then returned to the door to the stairs and told us that he wanted to wait for his little Bro before attacking the presents. We didn't encourage him to do this; it came from him. He loved his little Bro and was incredibly protective of him. This touched me dearly , and still does. In fact it's brought a wee tear to my eye writing this. It happens at some stage everyday.

So, I am trying my damndest to make this Christmas a positive one. For both of my sons in their different ways, and for my ex-wife who has suffered, and is still suffering just as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment