Thursday, November 30, 2017

Tangata whenua.


My first ever blog, in fact the only other one I've ever had, was called Displaced Kiwi. This is what I am. A New Zealander who has been displaced to France. Against my will? Well,  I wouldn't say that. The things we do for love. Nonetheless I remain a Kiwi at heart. NZ is the country that I love; the most beautiful country in the world and I've visited nearly 30. But, and this is a big but, I now have dual nationality. I am a Frenchman. What's more, I am proud to be French, although I have not yet been able to support le XV de France!

However, I would move 'home' at the drop of a hat if I could, but my son lives here, despite also having New Zealand citizenship, and I would never leave him. It may be a different story once he turns 18 and becomes a majeur. I'd also find it very hard to leave my big boy's grave. It is my link to him and not being able to visit it would hit me hard. So, in France I remain and I am trying so hard to make the most of it. I've been living in France for 17 years and despite listening to NewsTalk ZB everyday, watching Kiwi films, watching the ABs and eating the odd leg of lamb, I remain French while I'm here.

The life of an expat is one that is so hard to define. Only other expats can fully understand. I'm comfortable having dual nationality and count myself lucky. I'm also glad that I ended up living in Brittany. My kind of place.

En plus, Asterix and Obelix come from here. What more could you want?

Word of the day: Cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. Word for the day...classic. I'm picturing the last page of every Asterix book I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete